About Kangra

Kangra is among the most incredible and most attractive historical tourist place in Himachal Pradesh. Surrounded by the most wonderful valleys, lush green jungle of pines and gardens, tea gardens and terraced fields presents a tremendous contrast of nature and beauty. It is also known as the most beautiful valleys of the lower Himalayas which is sheltered by the massive Dhauladhar range of mountains, rich in culture and history. The city is well known for arts and crafts. Crafts like the beautifully and attractively designed shawls and miniature pictures of this region are both nationally and internationally appreciated.
 
The place is bounded by Chamba to the north, Lahul and Spiti to the northeast, Kullu to the east, Mandi to the southeast, and Hamirpur and Una to the south. The town shares a border with the states of Punjab on the southwest, and Jammu & Kashmir on the northwest. Dharamshala is the administrative head office of the district. Kangra town is situated at the confluence of the Baner and Majhi streams, overlooking the Banganga torrent is well known for temples, forts and now a speedily growing as a business center. The Kangra Valley also offers exciting opportunities for trekking, rock climbing, mountaineering and fishing. The Kangra Valley is the home of various fishes such as Mahaseer as also the Malli, Soal, Bachwa, Gid and Shingra.

Kangra is one of the most significant and famous districts of Himachal Pradesh due to its popularity. It is mainly famous for natural scenic beauty and tea gardens. Number of people all over the India visit here every year. It is the home of Masroor Rock Cut Temple, also known as Himalayan Pyramids and wonder of the world for being likely contender for the UNESCO World Heritage Site.

History of Kangra
The history of Kangra valley goes back to vedic times, more than 3,500 years ago. It finds mention in the 'Puranas' the Mahabharta and in Rajtarangani. Historically, Kangra was named Nagarkot and Trigarta. This town is founded by Katoch Kshatriya Rajputs of Chandervanshi Lineage. In ancient time, The Katoch Rajas had a stronghold here, with a fort and rich temples. There is another ancient name of the city is Bhimagar and it was supposedly founded by Raja Bhim, younger brother of Kuru Emperor Yudhishthira of Indraprastha (now Delhi).

The temple of Brajeshwari Devi and Kangra Fort is main attraction of this Place. The temple was one of the most ancient and wealthiest in northern India. It was ravaged by foriegn aggression many times. And, it was also damaged, together with the fort and the town, by 1905 Kangra earthquake on the 4 April 1905, but the temple was rebuilt.

Kangra is known for having the oldest serving Royal Dynasty in the world Katoch. Kangra became a district of British India in 1846, when it was ceded to British India at the conclusion of the First Anglo-Sikh War.